MacPhun has announced that the next version of its HDR software Aurora HDR will arrive on September 28th 2017. Not only is it packed with new and improved versions, it will also come in a Windows version for the first time.
MacPhun has made its name with a range of innovative and affordable image-editing applications and plug-ins, but this latest move signals an expansion from its Mac-only origins into the much wider market of Windows software.
Aurora HDR has been developed in conjunction with HDR expert Trey Ratcliff and works both as a standalone program and as a plug-in. It can merge whole series of bracketed exposures but you can apply its HDR tools to single images too. The program comes with a selection of preset HDR effects arranged into categories, but each of these is created with manual tools you can adjust yourself, so you can tweak the existing effects or create your own from scratch and save them as new presets.
Aurora HDR 2018 boast a number of significant improvements over its predecessor. These include:
- Next-generation Tone Mapping for reduced noise and more natural-looking results
- Mac and Windows versions enabling mixed-computer households to share the same product key
- Lens Correction Tool to fix barrel and pincushion, distortion, chromatic aberration and vignetting.
- Transform Tool to scale, rotate and shift images
- Dodge & Burn Filter to lighten or darken specific areas of an image in classic darkroom style
- HDR Enhance Filter to add detail and clarity without creating edge haloes and other artefacts
- User Interface improvement to make it more modern and responsive
- History Panel which lets you to click on any editing step to revert to an earlier stage
- Touch Bar support for Mac to offer new MacBook Pro users fast access to key features
- Image Flip and Rotate to correct horizons or make creative compositions
- IMPROVED: New Structure Algorithm for a classic HDR effect with great detail or a smoother effect with less detail
- IMPROVED: RAW handling to bring out more details in shadows and highlights, reduce noise and display colours more accurately
- IMPROVED: Crop tool update which brings custom crop sizes
- IMPROVED: Speed improvements to merging, masking and RAW image processing
Aurora HDR 2018 pricing and offers
If you pre-order before September 28th 2017 you’ll get a $10 discount on the regular price and some bonus goodies.